‘Tis the season where everything is merry and bright. Let’s be real, that’s a stretch. Not everything, and surely not everyone, is merry and bright.
There are a lot of things and a lot of people that bring me joy; those things and people also bring me heartache and grief.
Just within the last month, did someone or something suck the JOY right out of you? I bet you can name them or it right now.
You know, there are days where I am up on the mountain with Jesus and then BAM! I have a conversation, run into someone, or receive a text, and I feel like a deflated flamingo float…all in about 1.4 seconds. (Insert emoji eye roll.)
That is real life, BUT… as believers, we have a source to refill our heart and mind with HOPE, FAITH, JOY, AND LOVE! (Advent)
Let’s focus on our key verse, Romans 15:13.
The apostle Paul UNLOADS a dump truck of theology in this verse. We will break it down, little by little. Grab your journal and write the verse down or use your Bible Verse Mapping sheet. We could dissect this verse for days.
1. First, God’s Word says, “…God, the source of hope”.
● God is the source of HOPE. We discussed this in week one of ADVENT. God is
the hope in darkness. Before we have JOY, we must have FAITH (week 2).
● GOD is the author of HOPE. Our HOPE, comes from the Word of God, which
will fill us completely with JOY! Ladies, we must stay in God’s Word! It’s vital to
our spiritual and physical health.
2. The next part of the verse, brings our focus to Advent Week 3.
“…will fill you completely with JOY and peace because you trust in Him.”
● Who will fill you?_______
● What will you be filled with? _______ and _______.
● Why will He fill you? _____________________________.
To be filled with JOY!!
● The Greek word for JOY in this verse is “chara”, meaning great gladness, cheerfulness, calm delight.
● There are 35 different lexicon uses of the word JOY in God’s Word. Within our key verse, the meaning of “chara” occurs 59 times within the Bible.
When translated, this is the same JOY that is described in when a person puts their FAITH in Jesus Christ!
I’m going to pause for a moment and let you re-read that verse. Underline it in your Bible.
This “chara” is the same JOY felt in Heaven when one sinner repents. Only God alone can fill you with this JOY!
Your Bible is your fueling station. Check your tank. If you are on empty, go fill up on God’s Word; it’s our JOY BOOK!
3. The last part of this verse is the result of obedience. By putting your faith in Jesus
Christ, you will overflow through the power of the Holy Spirit.
“…Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.”
● This has nothing to do with your strengths, weaknesses, abilities, or lack thereof. You will only overflow through the power of the Holy Spirit because of your faith in Jesus Christ.
● Matthew Henry states, “Carnal joy puffs up the soul, but cannot fill it; therefore in laughter the heart is sad. True, heavenly, spiritual joy is filling to the soul; it has a satisfaction in it, answerable to the soul’s vast and just desires.”
● Your confident hope is a direct result of obedience.
Let’s put a bow on this JOY package. Here are 3 ways you can experience JOY this Advent Season or any other day of the year.
1. Prayer- Go directly to the JOY Maker and JOY Giver. Tell Him what is in your heart. Listen to receive His Word.
2. Believe- We must believe God is who He says He is. We must believe He is our JOY Maker and JOY Giver. Only He can fill us and sustain us with a never ending JOY – HIS JOY.
3. Read – Spend time in God’s Word, the JOY BOOK! There is no amount of church-going, service-completing, song-singing, or money-giving that replaces a personal relationship with Jesus Christ in His Word. We must spend time with God in His Word. He speaks to us through it.
This Advent Season, let’s make it a priority to seek JOY in Jesus through His Word, the JOY BOOK! Make a commitment to Him that you will start your day by reading His Word. Tell another Jesus Girl, and ask her to hold you accountable. I have 9 other ladies that hold me accountable for my daily Bible reading. They are my Life Group, and we do life together… the good, the bad, and the exhausting.
CHOOSE JOY! The JOY that fills you, sustains you, and overflows into your life and the lives of those around you.
Time to Unfold
- Pray: Pray for God to fill you with His JOY.
- Read God’s Word: Refill your tank with the JOY Book.
- Do: Be obedient in spending time with God in His Word and in prayer. He has a lot He wants to tell you.
- Repeat: Continue refilling your heart and your mind with God’s JOY.
Have a blessed week celebrating JESUS IS COMING!
Refueling with you,
Heather McVey, a speaker and accidental writer, has a passion for connecting the dots of God’s Word. Her mission is focused on teaching women how to unfold the scriptures within their own life, encouraging and equipping them to walk worthy of their calling. Learn more about her in Meet Heather.